Home Forums Tennis Racquets Forum Tennis Strings

This topic contains 30 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gil Reis 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Gil Reis

Dear Thomas,
    I’m a 60 years old player, still competing at weekend tournments.
    Last year I developed tennis elbow using Luxilon Alu Power in my Babolat Pure Drive, wich i loved.
    I’m using now Yonex Ai98(285g) with Luxilon 4G soft.Tennis elbow is better but my tennis is not the same.
    Is this racket and string a good match ?
    Any suggestion ?

#58708 Reply

Brian

Thank you for all the time you put in the site. I play the prince tour 16 x18 with rpm blast 17 at 53lbs. The rackets came with free prince premier and i gave in and tried to ploy about 3 months ago. My elbows are starting to hurt again. If I switch to the Xcel what would be a good starting tension?

#57400 Reply
    Profile photo of Thomas Tennis
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Roberto,
    It is good to hear that you are considering switching from the babolat aero pro to the pro kennex Ki5 315. That is a very smart decision it is much better for your arm and you will not need to worry as much about your strings. I would start out with what you have been using and see how it goes, if you still have arm problems consider the strings on the top 10 arm friendly strings page http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-string/

#57128 Reply

Roberto

I’d like to know two things since I have shoulder issues. About the racquet, I am considering the pro kennex Ki5 315 vs the babolat aero pro I am using now. I like the power and spin from the babolat. I have RPM blast strings in the main and wilson NXT power in the crosses. If I switch to the pro kennex what strings do you recommend and at what tension. Thanks and my appreciation for the support you are given to the tennis players.

#53287 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Srini,
    You would lose some spin potential. Durability usually sacrifices playability but you need to find a balance as most players other than those on the pro tour cannot afford to constantly break strings. The effect of tension on spin potential is very debatable.

#53013 Reply

Srini

Thomas

Thanks for the suggestion. Would I lose spin potential by switching to a lower gauge? Can I recover some of that by going to a lower tension?

Thanks
    Srini

#52891 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Srini,
    I would suggest switching from Technifibre NRG2 17 to Technifibre NRG2 16 and also using string savers my favorite is BABOLAT Elasto Cross Tennis String

#52869 Reply

Srini

Hi
    I am looking for a arm friendly but durable string recommendation. I am using a Donnay Dual XPS 102 racket with a hybrid string combination of Pro Red Code 16G for the mains and Technifibre NRG2 17G for the crosses. This combination is great for my elbow, but the crosses are not durable at all. I hit with heavy spin and I end up losing the crosses every two to three matches (4-6 sets). THis is a bit too much for me – I’d like something that is more durable than this. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Srini

#49212 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Lucian,
    The Luxilon strings are very durable and give great control but are rough on your arm, even the pros use them only as a hybrid with the other half of their racquet strung with gut. If you really like it and use it with a very flexible racquet you will probably be alright although be careful if you start feeling signs of elbow problems I would get away from it right away.

#49133 Reply

Lucian

Hello Thomas,
    Please tell me what is your opinion abut Luxilon Alu Power in terms of arm-friendly strings? Do you thing a long term use of this string on a flexible raquet could affect the arm?

#34526 Reply

Dud

hello, I just saw your mention about ” Head Prestige Pro is average in terms of being arm friendly since it is a little bit too stiff”, but prestige pro is recommended as a arm friendly racquet in your blog. What is correct?

#18342 Reply

Jose Luis

(Awaiting moderation)

#4258 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

JR,
    Your son has selected a great racquet, this racquet would be arm friendly with just about any string. The best way to counteract the string from breaking is to use a thicker grade and also lower the tension which you should be able to do since this racquet offers such outstanding control

#4257 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Lucian,

The Babolat Xcel 17 or Wilson NXT 17 are both excellent arm friendly strings I personally favor the Wilson NXT as I have had good success with it over many years.

#2692 Reply

Lucian

Hello. After several tennis elbow issues I bought a Head Graphene Radical MP racquet after your indications and suits just good to my game, low swingweight and easy to use. I bought it with Head FXP Power 17 strings, strung at 25/24 and seems little stiff to my arm, I felt it a little unconfortable. Now I need to restrung it(I will try 23/22, the lower interval of the recommended tension for the frame I have) and I am not decided what to use: Babolat Xcel 17 or Wilson NXT 17. What do you suggest that suites better for my racquet? Thank you for your help.

• Author

Gil Reis

Dear Thomas,
    I’m a 60 years old player, still competing at weekend tournments.
    Last year I developed tennis elbow using Luxilon Alu Power in my Babolat Pure Drive, wich i loved.
    I’m using now Yonex Ai98(285g) with Luxilon 4G soft.Tennis elbow is better but my tennis is not the same.
    Is this racket and string a good match ?
    Any suggestion ?

#58708 Reply

Brian

Thank you for all the time you put in the site. I play the prince tour 16 x18 with rpm blast 17 at 53lbs. The rackets came with free prince premier and i gave in and tried to ploy about 3 months ago. My elbows are starting to hurt again. If I switch to the Xcel what would be a good starting tension?

#57400 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Roberto,
    It is good to hear that you are considering switching from the babolat aero pro to the pro kennex Ki5 315. That is a very smart decision it is much better for your arm and you will not need to worry as much about your strings. I would start out with what you have been using and see how it goes, if you still have arm problems consider the strings on the top 10 arm friendly strings page http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-string/

#57128 Reply

Roberto

I’d like to know two things since I have shoulder issues. About the racquet, I am considering the pro kennex Ki5 315 vs the babolat aero pro I am using now. I like the power and spin from the babolat. I have RPM blast strings in the main and wilson NXT power in the crosses. If I switch to the pro kennex what strings do you recommend and at what tension. Thanks and my appreciation for the support you are given to the tennis players.

#53287 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Srini,
    You would lose some spin potential. Durability usually sacrifices playability but you need to find a balance as most players other than those on the pro tour cannot afford to constantly break strings. The effect of tension on spin potential is very debatable.

#53013 Reply

Srini

Thomas

Thanks for the suggestion. Would I lose spin potential by switching to a lower gauge? Can I recover some of that by going to a lower tension?

Thanks
    Srini

#52891 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Srini,
    I would suggest switching from Technifibre NRG2 17 to Technifibre NRG2 16 and also using string savers my favorite is BABOLAT Elasto Cross Tennis String

#52869 Reply

Srini

Hi
    I am looking for a arm friendly but durable string recommendation. I am using a Donnay Dual XPS 102 racket with a hybrid string combination of Pro Red Code 16G for the mains and Technifibre NRG2 17G for the crosses. This combination is great for my elbow, but the crosses are not durable at all. I hit with heavy spin and I end up losing the crosses every two to three matches (4-6 sets). THis is a bit too much for me – I’d like something that is more durable than this. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Srini

#49212 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Lucian,
    The Luxilon strings are very durable and give great control but are rough on your arm, even the pros use them only as a hybrid with the other half of their racquet strung with gut. If you really like it and use it with a very flexible racquet you will probably be alright although be careful if you start feeling signs of elbow problems I would get away from it right away.

#49133 Reply

Lucian

Hello Thomas,
    Please tell me what is your opinion abut Luxilon Alu Power in terms of arm-friendly strings? Do you thing a long term use of this string on a flexible raquet could affect the arm?

#34526 Reply

Dud

hello, I just saw your mention about ” Head Prestige Pro is average in terms of being arm friendly since it is a little bit too stiff”, but prestige pro is recommended as a arm friendly racquet in your blog. What is correct?

#18342 Reply

Jose Luis

(Awaiting moderation)

#4258 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

JR,
    Your son has selected a great racquet, this racquet would be arm friendly with just about any string. The best way to counteract the string from breaking is to use a thicker grade and also lower the tension which you should be able to do since this racquet offers such outstanding control

#4257 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Lucian,

The Babolat Xcel 17 or Wilson NXT 17 are both excellent arm friendly strings I personally favor the Wilson NXT as I have had good success with it over many years.

#2692 Reply

Lucian

Hello. After several tennis elbow issues I bought a Head Graphene Radical MP racquet after your indications and suits just good to my game, low swingweight and easy to use. I bought it with Head FXP Power 17 strings, strung at 25/24 and seems little stiff to my arm, I felt it a little unconfortable. Now I need to restrung it(I will try 23/22, the lower interval of the recommended tension for the frame I have) and I am not decided what to use: Babolat Xcel 17 or Wilson NXT 17. What do you suggest that suites better for my racquet? Thank you for your help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Reply To: Tennis Strings
Your information: