Home Forums Tennis Racquets Forum Tennis Strings

This topic contains 30 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gil Reis 5 months ago.

• Author

Gil Reis

Dear Thomas,
    I’m a 60 years old player, still competing at weekend tournments.
    Last year I developed tennis elbow using Luxilon Alu Power in my Babolat Pure Drive, wich i loved.
    I’m using now Yonex Ai98(285g) with Luxilon 4G soft.Tennis elbow is better but my tennis is not the same.
    Is this racket and string a good match ?
    Any suggestion ?

Brian

Thank you for all the time you put in the site. I play the prince tour 16 x18 with rpm blast 17 at 53lbs. The rackets came with free prince premier and i gave in and tried to ploy about 3 months ago. My elbows are starting to hurt again. If I switch to the Xcel what would be a good starting tension?

Roberto

I’d like to know two things since I have shoulder issues. About the racquet, I am considering the pro kennex Ki5 315 vs the babolat aero pro I am using now. I like the power and spin from the babolat. I have RPM blast strings in the main and wilson NXT power in the crosses. If I switch to the pro kennex what strings do you recommend and at what tension. Thanks and my appreciation for the support you are given to the tennis players.

Profile photo of Thomas Tennis
      Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

Roberto,
      It is good to hear that you are considering switching from the babolat aero pro to the pro kennex Ki5 315. That is a very smart decision it is much better for your arm and you will not need to worry as much about your strings. I would start out with what you have been using and see how it goes, if you still have arm problems consider the strings on the top 10 arm friendly strings page http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-string/

Srini

Hi
    I am looking for a arm friendly but durable string recommendation. I am using a Donnay Dual XPS 102 racket with a hybrid string combination of Pro Red Code 16G for the mains and Technifibre NRG2 17G for the crosses. This combination is great for my elbow, but the crosses are not durable at all. I hit with heavy spin and I end up losing the crosses every two to three matches (4-6 sets). THis is a bit too much for me – I’d like something that is more durable than this. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Srini

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

Srini,
      I would suggest switching from Technifibre NRG2 17 to Technifibre NRG2 16 and also using string savers my favorite is BABOLAT Elasto Cross Tennis String

Srini

Thomas

Thanks for the suggestion. Would I lose spin potential by switching to a lower gauge? Can I recover some of that by going to a lower tension?

Thanks
        Srini

Thomas Tennis
          Keymaster

Srini,
          You would lose some spin potential. Durability usually sacrifices playability but you need to find a balance as most players other than those on the pro tour cannot afford to constantly break strings. The effect of tension on spin potential is very debatable.

Profile photo of Lucian T.
    Lucian

Hello Thomas,
    Please tell me what is your opinion abut Luxilon Alu Power in terms of arm-friendly strings? Do you thing a long term use of this string on a flexible raquet could affect the arm?

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

Lucian,
      The Luxilon strings are very durable and give great control but are rough on your arm, even the pros use them only as a hybrid with the other half of their racquet strung with gut. If you really like it and use it with a very flexible racquet you will probably be alright although be careful if you start feeling signs of elbow problems I would get away from it right away.

Dud

hello, I just saw your mention about ” Head Prestige Pro is average in terms of being arm friendly since it is a little bit too stiff”, but prestige pro is recommended as a arm friendly racquet in your blog. What is correct?

Lucian

Hello. After several tennis elbow issues I bought a Head Graphene Radical MP racquet after your indications and suits just good to my game, low swingweight and easy to use. I bought it with Head FXP Power 17 strings, strung at 25/24 and seems little stiff to my arm, I felt it a little unconfortable. Now I need to restrung it(I will try 23/22, the lower interval of the recommended tension for the frame I have) and I am not decided what to use: Babolat Xcel 17 or Wilson NXT 17. What do you suggest that suites better for my racquet? Thank you for your help.

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

Lucian,

The Babolat Xcel 17 or Wilson NXT 17 are both excellent arm friendly strings I personally favor the Wilson NXT as I have had good success with it over many years.

Jerry Rogers

My son has tried out the Prince Tour 98 ESP and really likes it (he is currently using a very stiff racquet–APD). To try and help head off potential arm issues we are likely going to transition to the Prince, but with its 16×16 string pattern it will likely be prone to string breakage without using a stronger string. Do you have any recommendations on a softer/arm friendlier poly, or would use of a poly completely offset the advantages gained by using the more flexible racquet? My son currently uses Black Code (a poly) in the mains and PSGD in the crosses at around 56lbs in his Babolat APD, but I don’t know if using hybrids in a 16×16 pattern will work, or just end up cutting through the PSGD. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. JR

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

JR,
      Your son has selected a great racquet, this racquet would be arm friendly with just about any string. The best way to counteract the string from breaking is to use a thicker grade and also lower the tension which you should be able to do since this racquet offers such outstanding control

Dennis

I was happily surprised to find the Wilson 95S on your “easy on the elbow” list. I own two of them but strung them with “Wilson Ripspin”. Was that a mistake? What string would you reccommend for that racket?

Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

The Head Prestige Pro is average in terms of being arm friendly since it is a little bit too stiff but the Head Prestige Pro MP is a good arm friendly racquet. Yet you definitely could benefit from the Prokennex Heritage Redondo Type C 93, after looking into that racquet I realize it is an exceptional top arm friendly racquet, you may want to also look into the Prokennex Heritage Redondo Type C MP which has a 98 head size, unless you are a very high level player it could be difficult to consistently find the sweet spot on a 93 sq.in head size

Dennis

What string do you recommend for the Wilson 95S?

Diego

Hi Thomas,

First of all congratullations for this website, it is really usefull.

I have been having TE problems for the last 2 weeks and now I am am a bit undecided about whether I must swop my tennis frames or just keep with them. I play two different frames at present, HEAD Youtek Prestige Pro & MP. I am wondering if Prokennex Heritage Redondo Type C 93 will be better or just more of the same thing.

In the other hand I strung my MP frame with X-One BiPhase 18g and the Pro one with Luxilon BB Ace 112 (18g too).

Am I in the rigth direction or just going too wrong.

Thank you very much in advance.

D.

RP

What is more arm friendly, the Babolat VS Team or the Babolat VS Touch? Do both of these natural gut strings have the new BT7 technology and is the new BT7 technology more arm friendly or does it just make the string more durable? Does the VS Team & VS Touch come in 16G, 17G & 18G diameter and if so which gauge is the most arm friendly?

Brian

Hi Thomas,

Thanks again! I have one more question for you! What is the shelf lifespan of a poly string? or other strings? How long can they be kept before declaiming it dead?

Thanks,
    Brian

RP

What are your two favorite arm friendly natural gut choices and your two favorite synthetic gut choices? Is there a noticable difference between your favorite natural gut and synthetic gut choices with regard to being arm friendly? What would be the most arm friendly, a 16G, 17G, 18G etc? Thank you for a great website.

Geoff

What tension would you recommend starting at
    To max control while protecting elbow?

Also the club pro suggested switching to 98 vs current 95 size head exo3 rebel team
    And says should not notice much difference but would overall improve my game
    Play
    already have elbow problems and shoulder problems with the current racket
    Can you please answer these two questions thank you so much for your website

Marco

Thanks for the great site. I’ve choosen a prokennex ki 5 315 raquet. Now for the strings I don’t know which to choose. I used to play with a Babolat apd gt, with a tension of 24kg. That caused elbow pain, but was great for my playing style. Which kind of strings and tension should I put on the prokennex to obtain similar overall effect? Thanks.

P.s. the links next to the names of the strings do not work for me.

Diego_Switzerland

Hi
    Thanks again for your amazing contribution to the tennis community!
    Have you tried Luxilon Alu Power Big banger (17L)? I use it on the mains, with a Kirshbaum Black Shark a little thicker on the cross.
    I understand that the mains are giving the touch and the feeling, while the cross are giving the power. I can not afford to buy Luxilon so often, thats why I use Kirschbaum on the cross. Besides price, it has an hexagonal shape and prevents the string from moving so much.
    Finally, do you recommend stringing with more/less tension on the mains than in the cross?
    Im playing with a Wilson N-blade 98. I think it fits most of the characteristics you have listed under the racquets section.
    Thanks!!

Fahrudin Kulic

To add to my own comment. The racket is slightly stiffer than recommended (66). I tried playing with Head Youtek IG Prestige MP which has a 18×20 string pattern and I preferred the 16×19 pattern of Prestige Pro.

Fahrudin Kulic

I just wanted to thank you for this very useful site for players suffering from tennis elbow, like myself. I am 42 years old, a recreational player, self taught, and hence my technique is not the best but isnt poor either compared to other club players, but still I started suffering from elbow and shoulder pains 3 years ago and stopped playing for two years. I am glad I found this website which helped me select a new racket and strings (Head Youtek IG Prestige Pro and Heat Intellitour). I can play now, with minor stiffness after a match. thanks for your effort.

Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Lower tension is better for your arm but you start to lose control as you lower the tension so you will need to experiment and reduce the tension gradually to see how low you can go and still be able to control your shots John McEnroe strung as low as 45 lbs I would not recommend any lower than that

Syed

Hi, I found your write-up very informative and appreciate you sharing your experience. Could you elaborate on string tension and how it impacts tennis elbow? For example, my understanding is that low tension is easier on the elbow. But what would be defined as low tension for natural gut? 40 pounds? 50 pounds? Any additional details you could provide would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Willis

Hey I’ve found a mixture that seams pretty good is Wilson sensation crosses with luxilon mains I would like to no what you think of this combination also I would like to know what u recommend about the blx blade tour

Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

My top 10 list recommended of arm-friendly strings Babolat Xcel (click for more info) Prince Premier (click for more info) Babolat Addiction (click fo
    [See the full post at: Tennis Strings]

• Author

Gil Reis

Dear Thomas,
    I’m a 60 years old player, still competing at weekend tournments.
    Last year I developed tennis elbow using Luxilon Alu Power in my Babolat Pure Drive, wich i loved.
    I’m using now Yonex Ai98(285g) with Luxilon 4G soft.Tennis elbow is better but my tennis is not the same.
    Is this racket and string a good match ?
    Any suggestion ?

Brian

Thank you for all the time you put in the site. I play the prince tour 16 x18 with rpm blast 17 at 53lbs. The rackets came with free prince premier and i gave in and tried to ploy about 3 months ago. My elbows are starting to hurt again. If I switch to the Xcel what would be a good starting tension?

Roberto

I’d like to know two things since I have shoulder issues. About the racquet, I am considering the pro kennex Ki5 315 vs the babolat aero pro I am using now. I like the power and spin from the babolat. I have RPM blast strings in the main and wilson NXT power in the crosses. If I switch to the pro kennex what strings do you recommend and at what tension. Thanks and my appreciation for the support you are given to the tennis players.

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

Roberto,
      It is good to hear that you are considering switching from the babolat aero pro to the pro kennex Ki5 315. That is a very smart decision it is much better for your arm and you will not need to worry as much about your strings. I would start out with what you have been using and see how it goes, if you still have arm problems consider the strings on the top 10 arm friendly strings page http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-string/

Srini

Hi
    I am looking for a arm friendly but durable string recommendation. I am using a Donnay Dual XPS 102 racket with a hybrid string combination of Pro Red Code 16G for the mains and Technifibre NRG2 17G for the crosses. This combination is great for my elbow, but the crosses are not durable at all. I hit with heavy spin and I end up losing the crosses every two to three matches (4-6 sets). THis is a bit too much for me – I’d like something that is more durable than this. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Srini

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

Srini,
      I would suggest switching from Technifibre NRG2 17 to Technifibre NRG2 16 and also using string savers my favorite is BABOLAT Elasto Cross Tennis String

Srini

Thomas

Thanks for the suggestion. Would I lose spin potential by switching to a lower gauge? Can I recover some of that by going to a lower tension?

Thanks
        Srini

Thomas Tennis
          Keymaster

Srini,
          You would lose some spin potential. Durability usually sacrifices playability but you need to find a balance as most players other than those on the pro tour cannot afford to constantly break strings. The effect of tension on spin potential is very debatable.

Lucian

Hello Thomas,
    Please tell me what is your opinion abut Luxilon Alu Power in terms of arm-friendly strings? Do you thing a long term use of this string on a flexible raquet could affect the arm?

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

Lucian,
      The Luxilon strings are very durable and give great control but are rough on your arm, even the pros use them only as a hybrid with the other half of their racquet strung with gut. If you really like it and use it with a very flexible racquet you will probably be alright although be careful if you start feeling signs of elbow problems I would get away from it right away.

Dud

hello, I just saw your mention about ” Head Prestige Pro is average in terms of being arm friendly since it is a little bit too stiff”, but prestige pro is recommended as a arm friendly racquet in your blog. What is correct?

Lucian

Hello. After several tennis elbow issues I bought a Head Graphene Radical MP racquet after your indications and suits just good to my game, low swingweight and easy to use. I bought it with Head FXP Power 17 strings, strung at 25/24 and seems little stiff to my arm, I felt it a little unconfortable. Now I need to restrung it(I will try 23/22, the lower interval of the recommended tension for the frame I have) and I am not decided what to use: Babolat Xcel 17 or Wilson NXT 17. What do you suggest that suites better for my racquet? Thank you for your help.

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

Lucian,

The Babolat Xcel 17 or Wilson NXT 17 are both excellent arm friendly strings I personally favor the Wilson NXT as I have had good success with it over many years.

Jerry Rogers

My son has tried out the Prince Tour 98 ESP and really likes it (he is currently using a very stiff racquet–APD). To try and help head off potential arm issues we are likely going to transition to the Prince, but with its 16×16 string pattern it will likely be prone to string breakage without using a stronger string. Do you have any recommendations on a softer/arm friendlier poly, or would use of a poly completely offset the advantages gained by using the more flexible racquet? My son currently uses Black Code (a poly) in the mains and PSGD in the crosses at around 56lbs in his Babolat APD, but I don’t know if using hybrids in a 16×16 pattern will work, or just end up cutting through the PSGD. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. JR

Thomas Tennis
      Keymaster

JR,
      Your son has selected a great racquet, this racquet would be arm friendly with just about any string. The best way to counteract the string from breaking is to use a thicker grade and also lower the tension which you should be able to do since this racquet offers such outstanding control

Dennis

I was happily surprised to find the Wilson 95S on your “easy on the elbow” list. I own two of them but strung them with “Wilson Ripspin”. Was that a mistake? What string would you reccommend for that racket?

Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

The Head Prestige Pro is average in terms of being arm friendly since it is a little bit too stiff but the Head Prestige Pro MP is a good arm friendly racquet. Yet you definitely could benefit from the Prokennex Heritage Redondo Type C 93, after looking into that racquet I realize it is an exceptional top arm friendly racquet, you may want to also look into the Prokennex Heritage Redondo Type C MP which has a 98 head size, unless you are a very high level player it could be difficult to consistently find the sweet spot on a 93 sq.in head size

Dennis

What string do you recommend for the Wilson 95S?

Diego

Hi Thomas,

First of all congratullations for this website, it is really usefull.

I have been having TE problems for the last 2 weeks and now I am am a bit undecided about whether I must swop my tennis frames or just keep with them. I play two different frames at present, HEAD Youtek Prestige Pro & MP. I am wondering if Prokennex Heritage Redondo Type C 93 will be better or just more of the same thing.

In the other hand I strung my MP frame with X-One BiPhase 18g and the Pro one with Luxilon BB Ace 112 (18g too).

Am I in the rigth direction or just going too wrong.

Thank you very much in advance.

D.

RP

What is more arm friendly, the Babolat VS Team or the Babolat VS Touch? Do both of these natural gut strings have the new BT7 technology and is the new BT7 technology more arm friendly or does it just make the string more durable? Does the VS Team & VS Touch come in 16G, 17G & 18G diameter and if so which gauge is the most arm friendly?

Brian

Hi Thomas,

Thanks again! I have one more question for you! What is the shelf lifespan of a poly string? or other strings? How long can they be kept before declaiming it dead?

Thanks,
    Brian

RP

What are your two favorite arm friendly natural gut choices and your two favorite synthetic gut choices? Is there a noticable difference between your favorite natural gut and synthetic gut choices with regard to being arm friendly? What would be the most arm friendly, a 16G, 17G, 18G etc? Thank you for a great website.

Geoff

What tension would you recommend starting at
    To max control while protecting elbow?

Also the club pro suggested switching to 98 vs current 95 size head exo3 rebel team
    And says should not notice much difference but would overall improve my game
    Play
    already have elbow problems and shoulder problems with the current racket
    Can you please answer these two questions thank you so much for your website

Marco

Thanks for the great site. I’ve choosen a prokennex ki 5 315 raquet. Now for the strings I don’t know which to choose. I used to play with a Babolat apd gt, with a tension of 24kg. That caused elbow pain, but was great for my playing style. Which kind of strings and tension should I put on the prokennex to obtain similar overall effect? Thanks.

P.s. the links next to the names of the strings do not work for me.

Diego_Switzerland

Hi
    Thanks again for your amazing contribution to the tennis community!
    Have you tried Luxilon Alu Power Big banger (17L)? I use it on the mains, with a Kirshbaum Black Shark a little thicker on the cross.
    I understand that the mains are giving the touch and the feeling, while the cross are giving the power. I can not afford to buy Luxilon so often, thats why I use Kirschbaum on the cross. Besides price, it has an hexagonal shape and prevents the string from moving so much.
    Finally, do you recommend stringing with more/less tension on the mains than in the cross?
    Im playing with a Wilson N-blade 98. I think it fits most of the characteristics you have listed under the racquets section.
    Thanks!!

Fahrudin Kulic

To add to my own comment. The racket is slightly stiffer than recommended (66). I tried playing with Head Youtek IG Prestige MP which has a 18×20 string pattern and I preferred the 16×19 pattern of Prestige Pro.

Fahrudin Kulic

I just wanted to thank you for this very useful site for players suffering from tennis elbow, like myself. I am 42 years old, a recreational player, self taught, and hence my technique is not the best but isnt poor either compared to other club players, but still I started suffering from elbow and shoulder pains 3 years ago and stopped playing for two years. I am glad I found this website which helped me select a new racket and strings (Head Youtek IG Prestige Pro and Heat Intellitour). I can play now, with minor stiffness after a match. thanks for your effort.

Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Lower tension is better for your arm but you start to lose control as you lower the tension so you will need to experiment and reduce the tension gradually to see how low you can go and still be able to control your shots John McEnroe strung as low as 45 lbs I would not recommend any lower than that

Syed

Hi, I found your write-up very informative and appreciate you sharing your experience. Could you elaborate on string tension and how it impacts tennis elbow? For example, my understanding is that low tension is easier on the elbow. But what would be defined as low tension for natural gut? 40 pounds? 50 pounds? Any additional details you could provide would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Willis

Hey I’ve found a mixture that seams pretty good is Wilson sensation crosses with luxilon mains I would like to no what you think of this combination also I would like to know what u recommend about the blx blade tour

Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

My top 10 list recommended of arm-friendly strings Babolat Xcel (click for more info) Prince Premier (click for more info) Babolat Addiction (click fo
    [See the full post at: Tennis Strings]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.