Home Forums Tennis Racquets Forum Tennis Racquets

This topic contains 548 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas_Tennis 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 552 total)
  • Author

Alan

Thomas,

I’d like to express my appreciation for the great website and advice. I’ve recently been suffering what seems to be the beginning stages of TE, from a combination of the AeroPro Drive GT 2012 (surprise, surprise!), dead polyester strings (this was my first time with poly), and poor technique (probably tired after whole weekend of play, and because the APD is so easy to hit with I wasn’t swinging properly near the end). I talked to some people and ended up changing racquets.

Recently I demoed a Yonex EZONE Xi 98 and found the racquet to feel great, with characteristics (pattern, beam shape) outside of stiffness and weight, to be very similar to the APD. I’ve been hitting with it for several weeks now and it’s surprisingly been an experience in game improvement. I’ve been improving my technique steadily and the spin and power has come back, even if the frame itself is not as “designed” for it as the APD. Link below for your reference.

http://www.tennisexpress.com/YONEX-EZONE-Xi-98-Tennis-Racquet-26456

I wanted to know your opinion of this racquet, as well as two multifilament strings: the Head RIP Control (17G) and the Prince Premier Attack (16G).

I also have one more question – what are your thoughts about grip size? I’ve heard that improper grip size, mainly grips that are too large, exacerbate the existing problems of stiff frames and stiff strings. I’d been using a 4 1/4 (L2) previously and recently switched to 4 3/8 (L3) and found it much more comfortable. How much does a difference does grip size make?

Thank you for your responses.

– Alan

#1030 Reply
    Profile photo of Thomas Tennis
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

The Prince Response is too stiff, and the Volkl V1 is too light but the Prince Graphite 100 and the Dunlop Muscle weave are worth a look Also the DUNLOP Biomimetic Max 200G is one of my top 10 arm friendly racquets

#1029 Reply

Chris

I’m considering purchasing one of the Classic Reissued Racquets. The four under consideration are the Prince Response, The Prince Classic Graphite 100, The Volkl V1 and the Dunlop Muscle Weave. I’ve tried many of the newer technology frames and they have left me wanting. I developed moderate to severe TE while using the Babolat racquets (Nadal’s Black and Yellow) and it was exacerbated by using a Head Microgel racquet. I’ve also had to return to the 4 3/8 grip size as I think the 4 1/2 wasn’t doing me any favors. I’m also considering stringing at 50 lbs versus the 60-65 tension I have used with synthetic guts. Any suggestions?

#1028 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

The long term impact of using the Prince Warrior ESP 100 would not be good as it is very stiff. A racquet that is similiar but much more arm friendly is the PRINCE Tour 100T ESP

#1027 Reply

Connie

I’m demoing the new Prince Warrior ESP 100 and so far love it. Your thoughts on its longer term impact with elbow issues?

#1026 Reply

FiFi

Is Head graphene radical MP an arm friendly than Head youtek IG radical MP? They seem almost identical but the string patterns are different and Graphene is just little lighter and little bit more head light.
    I’m switching from Head youtek Instinct s (head heavy) to an arm friendly Head rkt.
    Thank you for your help!

#1025 Reply

Cem Soydemir

Thank you very much for your answer. But it is not possible here to find both limited version (Pure Storm and TFight 315). I could not also find the Prince EX03 Tour (checked the distributor website). So may i customize my prestige s by adding some weight around the grip to change the head light balance. Is it useful? Or should i continue to look for another more flexible racquet. Thank you again.

#1024 Reply

Rubie Ganns

Hi, I have been playing Head Ti S6 for 5 years. Am currently a 3.5 player who plays 5-6 times per week. I got tennis elbow for 6 weeks now, and so far still not getting any better…… But I am hopeful and thinking to switch to Head Radical MicroGel (either the regular size or the over size). Can you say something about them? I recall you said it might be helpful to put some tape. Where would you put the tape?

Thanks!

#1023 Reply

Rubie Ganns

Where would you put the tape? On the head at 9, 12 or 3 o’clock? Will that make the head heavy?

#1022 Reply

Virginia

Hello, I have a question for my 11 year old daughter. I want to go the preventative route and make sure she never develops arm problems. These racquets are obviously too large for her. Do you have a lighter (but full size adult) racquet that you would recommend to growing children? Thanks.

#1021 Reply

Cem Soydemir

Thank you very much for your answer. But it is not possible here to find both limited version (Pure Storm and TFight 315). I could not also find the Prince EX03 Tour (checked the distributor website). So may i customize my prestige s by adding some weight around the grip to change the head light balance. Is it useful? Or should i continue to look for another more flexible racquet. Thank you again.

#1020 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Yes I would recommend the BABOLAT New Pure Storm Limited GT Tennis Racquet as a top arm friendly racquet I would also recommend the Tecnifibre TFight 315 Ltd, but the racquet you are currently using the Head Youtek ig Prestige S is almost as arm friendly. Maybe you need something a lot more flexible like the Prince EX03 Tour.

#1019 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Great question! Essentially elbow, shoulder and wrist pain are caused by force and torque being absorbed and transfered to your arm through your racquet. A stiffer frame absorbs less of the force because the dwell time is reduced, stiff frames result in shorter dwell time, thus higher Torque. A lighter racquet has less momentum and thus absorbs less impact forcing your arm to absorb more impact. So the most essential characteristics of an arm friendly racquet are heavy and flexible, along with a head light balance. All the frames recommended on http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-racquets have all these characteristics at a minimum.

#1018 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Interesting question! As an 11 year old unless balls are being hit to her very hard and she is playing at a very high level, then she could use a lighter racquet without arm problems so I would look for a racquet a bit lighter with a low swingweight than typical arm friendly racquets with all the other charactertistics of arm friendly racquets, particulary important would be to stick wth high flexibility. A racquet like this is not easy to find but I found a few that are readily available – these include the Pacific X Force Lite, the Prince EXO3 Tour Lite 100 and the Head YOUTEK Graphene Instinct Rev

#1017 Reply

Cem Soydemir

Hi from Turkey. May I ask a question? Will you also advice Babolat Pure Storm GT (not the Ltd. version)? I have two racquets. One is Head Youtek ig Prestige S (after using it app. for 3 months with poly strings @ 55, I had a tennis elbow. Then I changed the strings with multifilament softer ones at a lower tension. And some ice treatment, excercises and rest, my TE is gone. Then I bought another racquet Head Graphene Instinct MP. My forearm started to sore again. I needed a lighter racquet(and a powerful one especially for serves, and I thought that I have pain on my forearm after 2 hours playing, and decided that it is because my prestige s is heavy for me) and that’s why bought the Instinct. But it seems that it gave me some pain again. I am thinking about Babolat for my new racquet of choice. On your list, I see BABOLAT New Pure Storm Limited GT but here in Turkey I couldn’t find that racquet. What is your advice on Pure Storm GT. And also what is your opinion about technifibre racquets. Can I find among them an armfriendl model. Thank you very much for your concern.

• Author

Alan

Thomas,

I’d like to express my appreciation for the great website and advice. I’ve recently been suffering what seems to be the beginning stages of TE, from a combination of the AeroPro Drive GT 2012 (surprise, surprise!), dead polyester strings (this was my first time with poly), and poor technique (probably tired after whole weekend of play, and because the APD is so easy to hit with I wasn’t swinging properly near the end). I talked to some people and ended up changing racquets.

Recently I demoed a Yonex EZONE Xi 98 and found the racquet to feel great, with characteristics (pattern, beam shape) outside of stiffness and weight, to be very similar to the APD. I’ve been hitting with it for several weeks now and it’s surprisingly been an experience in game improvement. I’ve been improving my technique steadily and the spin and power has come back, even if the frame itself is not as “designed” for it as the APD. Link below for your reference.

http://www.tennisexpress.com/YONEX-EZONE-Xi-98-Tennis-Racquet-26456

I wanted to know your opinion of this racquet, as well as two multifilament strings: the Head RIP Control (17G) and the Prince Premier Attack (16G).

I also have one more question – what are your thoughts about grip size? I’ve heard that improper grip size, mainly grips that are too large, exacerbate the existing problems of stiff frames and stiff strings. I’d been using a 4 1/4 (L2) previously and recently switched to 4 3/8 (L3) and found it much more comfortable. How much does a difference does grip size make?

Thank you for your responses.

– Alan

#1030 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

The Prince Response is too stiff, and the Volkl V1 is too light but the Prince Graphite 100 and the Dunlop Muscle weave are worth a look Also the DUNLOP Biomimetic Max 200G is one of my top 10 arm friendly racquets

#1029 Reply

Chris

I’m considering purchasing one of the Classic Reissued Racquets. The four under consideration are the Prince Response, The Prince Classic Graphite 100, The Volkl V1 and the Dunlop Muscle Weave. I’ve tried many of the newer technology frames and they have left me wanting. I developed moderate to severe TE while using the Babolat racquets (Nadal’s Black and Yellow) and it was exacerbated by using a Head Microgel racquet. I’ve also had to return to the 4 3/8 grip size as I think the 4 1/2 wasn’t doing me any favors. I’m also considering stringing at 50 lbs versus the 60-65 tension I have used with synthetic guts. Any suggestions?

#1028 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

The long term impact of using the Prince Warrior ESP 100 would not be good as it is very stiff. A racquet that is similiar but much more arm friendly is the PRINCE Tour 100T ESP

#1027 Reply

Connie

I’m demoing the new Prince Warrior ESP 100 and so far love it. Your thoughts on its longer term impact with elbow issues?

#1026 Reply

FiFi

Is Head graphene radical MP an arm friendly than Head youtek IG radical MP? They seem almost identical but the string patterns are different and Graphene is just little lighter and little bit more head light.
    I’m switching from Head youtek Instinct s (head heavy) to an arm friendly Head rkt.
    Thank you for your help!

#1025 Reply

Cem Soydemir

#1024 Reply

Rubie Ganns

Hi, I have been playing Head Ti S6 for 5 years. Am currently a 3.5 player who plays 5-6 times per week. I got tennis elbow for 6 weeks now, and so far still not getting any better…… But I am hopeful and thinking to switch to Head Radical MicroGel (either the regular size or the over size). Can you say something about them? I recall you said it might be helpful to put some tape. Where would you put the tape?

Thanks!

#1023 Reply

Rubie Ganns

Where would you put the tape? On the head at 9, 12 or 3 o’clock? Will that make the head heavy?

#1022 Reply

Virginia

Hello, I have a question for my 11 year old daughter. I want to go the preventative route and make sure she never develops arm problems. These racquets are obviously too large for her. Do you have a lighter (but full size adult) racquet that you would recommend to growing children? Thanks.

#1021 Reply

Cem Soydemir

#1020 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Yes I would recommend the BABOLAT New Pure Storm Limited GT Tennis Racquet as a top arm friendly racquet I would also recommend the Tecnifibre TFight 315 Ltd, but the racquet you are currently using the Head Youtek ig Prestige S is almost as arm friendly. Maybe you need something a lot more flexible like the Prince EX03 Tour.

#1019 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Great question! Essentially elbow, shoulder and wrist pain are caused by force and torque being absorbed and transfered to your arm through your racquet. A stiffer frame absorbs less of the force because the dwell time is reduced, stiff frames result in shorter dwell time, thus higher Torque. A lighter racquet has less momentum and thus absorbs less impact forcing your arm to absorb more impact. So the most essential characteristics of an arm friendly racquet are heavy and flexible, along with a head light balance. All the frames recommended on http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-racquets have all these characteristics at a minimum.

#1018 Reply
    Thomas Tennis
    Keymaster

Interesting question! As an 11 year old unless balls are being hit to her very hard and she is playing at a very high level, then she could use a lighter racquet without arm problems so I would look for a racquet a bit lighter with a low swingweight than typical arm friendly racquets with all the other charactertistics of arm friendly racquets, particulary important would be to stick wth high flexibility. A racquet like this is not easy to find but I found a few that are readily available – these include the Pacific X Force Lite, the Prince EXO3 Tour Lite 100 and the Head YOUTEK Graphene Instinct Rev

#1017 Reply

Cem Soydemir

Hi from Turkey. May I ask a question? Will you also advice Babolat Pure Storm GT (not the Ltd. version)? I have two racquets. One is Head Youtek ig Prestige S (after using it app. for 3 months with poly strings @ 55, I had a tennis elbow. Then I changed the strings with multifilament softer ones at a lower tension. And some ice treatment, excercises and rest, my TE is gone. Then I bought another racquet Head Graphene Instinct MP. My forearm started to sore again. I needed a lighter racquet(and a powerful one especially for serves, and I thought that I have pain on my forearm after 2 hours playing, and decided that it is because my prestige s is heavy for me) and that’s why bought the Instinct. But it seems that it gave me some pain again. I am thinking about Babolat for my new racquet of choice. On your list, I see BABOLAT New Pure Storm Limited GT but here in Turkey I couldn’t find that racquet. What is your advice on Pure Storm GT. And also what is your opinion about technifibre racquets. Can I find among them an armfriendl model. Thank you very much for your concern.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 552 total)
Reply To: Tennis Racquets
Your information: